Intentions

As a follower of Christ, it is easy for me to fall into a routine – going to work, going to class, going to my other job, going to sleep, and initiating the same cycle every morning, five days a week. While I may include a few Biblical or “Christian” activities in my schedule – such as volunteering at a homeless shelter, leading a youth group, or reading my Bible – these actions are only as good as the amount of prayer and preparation that I’ve put into them. Put more simply – living as a true follower of Christ requires intentionality, and I am not intentional.

When I work at the downtown homeless shelter, I may be serving the homeless and working poor in a physical way by giving them a hot meal, but I am not serving them spiritually. I can’t think of a time in which I’ve actually prayed before I’ve made my commute to the alley in the city. I haven’t prepared my heart to see the work that God has already started in so many of these peoples’ lives, and I haven’t allowed God to use me to change the lives of those around me. It can be a dark, hurting, and lonely place at times, and though I feel like I am making a difference by simply showing up, there is so much more that could be done by intentionally moving into a place of pain and loneliness and watching God work.

Some of you may have heard the well-known quote by Francis of Assisi that says, “Wherever you go, preach the gospel, and if necessary, use words.” While this idea of Christian living may be valid in some aspects, it ignores the fact that people are thirsty on a level much deeper than we ordinarily assume. So many people live in darkness and have become numb to their surroundings. They have caged themselves in in an attempt to fend off the troubles of this world. I have seen it many times at the homeless shelter. People are hurting and broken, and simply giving them a bowl of beef stew will not mend their hearts. Everyone longs to be known; everyone longs to be loved. Watching a Christian do “Christian” things will not mend your heart or give you hope. It is important that we begin to serve not only in the physical realm, but also in the spiritual realm; giving hope to those who have no hope.

 So be intentional in all you do. Constantly remind yourself of the Reason you have come to serve. Get on your face and pray. Ask God to show you how He is already at work around you. Listen for his voice and speak Truth. Allow yourself to be uncomfortable. Step out in faith and be courageous. Be vulnerable. Share your life and faith with others.  Don’t pretend to be someone you’re not, because we are all broken, and we all need Jesus, especially us Christians. Listen. Understand. Make sacrifices and push your fears aside. Allow God to speak through you, and be bold enough to speak and to share the Hope that you have.


While Jesus did call us to clothe the naked and to feed the hungry, to give to the poor and to visit those in prison, He also called us to expand His Kingdom. If we truly believe in the gift of salvation, then it is crucial that we act like it. Why does it seem like it’s good enough for us to keep this good news to ourselves? God created every one of us to share in an intimate relationship with Him, and we are robbing others of the chance of eternal life by allowing our fears, discomforts, apathy, and laziness to get in the way of sharing the good news. Everyone deserves to know the joy of the Love of our Father.

“Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” –Matt. 28:19-20

God has called us. So what are you going to do about it?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Safe

Dangerous Faith

See